So I'd like to start this one out by saying thank you. Thank you to the generation before mine. Thanks to the one before that. This country was founded on principles of life, liberty, the pursuit of happiness, and a free market economy. That was America. If you had motivation, perseverance, a little creativity and some good old fashioned dedication, you could become one of the most successful people in this country. Of course, you might fail. But therein lies the beauty. You can take a risk and make a fortune, or lose it all.
So what happened? When did we lose the desire to become successful on our own self-esteem? Why do we look to a massive government to solve our problems? When our fathers first founded this country, they had to solve problems themselves. Now we ask our "all-knowing" government to solve them for us. Is that OK? Answer for yourself. Personally I'd like to think that I could make it on my own creativity, ingenuity, and problem-solving capabilities.
The generations before mine reached out, whether for the better or for the worse, and asked for a bigger government that could help them with their problems. It just wasn't fair, I suppose, that those who worked really hard, were extremely creative, and built strong relationships got so successful. Everyone should have a piece of the pie that they were enjoying, and who could provide that delicious pumpkin pie? The government. Well they are providing now. At least they are claiming to be providing. I hope they can.
But here's a question that I've been asking: What if I don't want all the pie that it is giving me? What if I've had my fill, and frankly, it's OK with me if the government backs down, cuts the ties, and lets me be a real man. Maybe at one point we needed our huge government. But what if we don't need it anymore? It has always been so gracious as to give us everything we ask for; but what if we ask it to stop giving? Will it back down? Looking into history and seeing the nature of men with great power makes me nervous. I suppose time will tell.
Thursday, November 26, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment